When you don’t repair a leaking shower, you can end up with a much bigger disaster than you first imagined. All that water leaking behind the walls and into the stud spaces, underneath the floor of the shower, and into the ceiling (if the bathroom is on the second story), can cause untold damage to your home.
Common causes of a leaking shower that needs repair
A leaking shower is a common cause of ceiling damage or even collapsing ceilings, so a fast repair job is essential. It might not be obvious that your shower is leaking at first, but if you notice water stains on the ceiling below your bathroom, peeling paint in the bathroom, cracked or broken tiles in the shower, missing or broken grout, mouldy or swollen skirting boards, or a musty smell in the bathroom, you quite possible have a serious leak.
Damaged caused by a leaking shower that needs repair
A shower that leaks into the wall or floor space goes far beyond being a simple nuisance to becoming a major issue that needs immediate attention. The damage caused by a leaking shower can be significant, so don’t wait around for a repair any longer than necessary.
If you are not convinced of the urgency in initiating repairs for a shower that is leaking, here are five knock-on problems that will cost you even more money to fix.
- Mould: Leaking water and a humid environment will very quickly lead to the growth of mould, which is often hidden inside the walls, under the base of the shower or inside the ceiling cavity (if your bathroom is on the second floor). Mould can cause severe health problems for asthmatics and anyone who is immunosuppressed, as well as reducing the integrity of the timber frames inside your walls and floor. It can also lead to an unpleasant musty smell in your home.
- Structural damage: The longer you leave repairing your shower, the more time structural damage has to occur. We have seen severe damage to walls and floors, as well as the foundations of homes, all of which will cost you much more to fix than the cost of a leaking shower repair.
- White ants: Moisture and timber provide the perfect breeding ground for white ants who will travel long distances to find these havens. The damage caused by white ants cannot be overstated, often causing homes to become unlivable until the damage can be fixed. The longer the leak continues, the longer the white ants have to infest your home and decimate the timber frame and foundations.
- Rusting metal: If there are any metal fixtures or fittings in the same location as the leak, whether inside the walls or under the floors, the water will eventually lead to metal fatigue, corrosion and failure. It’s essential that you fix these leaks as soon as possible.
- Falling tiles: Water leaking into the walls and floor of your shower can eventually result in tiles falling away from the walls or becoming loosened from the floor. Both of these problems will require new waterproofing and new tiles, but may also need replacement of the timber inside the walls or floor.
If you need an expert in leaking shower repairs, call us on 0404842560, 0403376558 or send us an email today.